Making pressed flowers for the shop
The pressed flowers that came out well
I listed some of my favourite flowers for pressing in a previous post, where you can see some fresh blooms waiting to press, and my initial results. Since then I’ve been pressing like mad, and here are some successes! All the blooms and leaves in the pics above and below came from my garden – you can see a list of them below. I only pressed some of these things, like the anchusa, bluebell and forsythia, in small quantities, but others, like the viola, crocosmia and rose have now made it into my dried flower shop.
List of successful pressed flowers
- Violas – various types Made it into the shop
- Tagetes flowers – Made it into the shop – but leaves were a bit brittle
- Anchusa – beautiful blue but faded unreliably on storage
- Forsythia – delicate pale yellow and a little flimsy
- Potentilla – Made it into the shop
- Bluebell – white only – the blue looked beautiful as soon as they were pressed but then faded
- Cherry blossom – very pleased but my tree is still small
- Veronica – lovely deep blue
- Rose – Made it into the shop in pink and red
- Borage – pressed unexpectedly well
- Astrantia – very pleased
- Crocosmia – Made it into the shop
- Geranium – smaller varieties Made it into the shop
- Monarda florets – I think these look just like flying flamingos and they Made it into the shop
- Forget-me-nots – Made it into the shop
- Ammi umbels – Made it into the shop
- Corydalis trumpets – Made it into the shop
Keeping traditional crafts alive in the UK
I think it’s great to be able to continue selling UK pressed flowers these days when so many are being imported. The trouble with some of the imported ones is that they have been dyed indiscriminately and so look strangely unnatural. Full disclosure: I do import some pressed flowers for my shop, but try to avoid anything dyed – I like to keep things natural. I also mark the UK ones so they stand out – it’s good to keep traditional crafts alive!
Buy pressed flowers
Some UK pressed flowers that made it into our shop are shown below.
L-R Top: Mixed Viola, Pink Monarda flamingos, White Ammi florets.
Middle: Forget-me-nots, Yellow Corydalis trumpets, Red roses.
Bottom: Pale Violas, Pink Potentilla, Yellow Tagetes
Buy UK pressed flowers at daisyshop.co.uk – look out for the “UK” label :)
You can also buy that little frame via the same link.