Take a deep breath and try one of my ten ways to relax with lavender
- Put a few drops of lavender essential oil in a bath for a soak before bedtime. (The oil is not only soothing but mildly antiseptic so if you have any minor cuts or grazes it will treat them at the same time.) Or make a lavender & oat bath bag.
- Use a lavender wheat bag that can be warmed in the microwave for a soothing alternative to a hot water bottle. These are widely available, or make your own by stitching a strong fabric bag and filling with wheat mixed with a little dried lavender and a few drops of lavender oil.
- Put a lavender bag or sachet under your pillow to aid sleep. A lavender bag should retain its fragrance for months and can be squeezed periodically to refresh.
See my no sew lavender bag make
- Hops are also well known to aid sleep. Why not combine the effects of lavender and hops in a pillow? Lavender also combines well with soothing chamomile, which has an apple-like fragrance.
- Dilute a few drops of lavender oil in a massage oil for a relaxing massage. Set the scene with lavender candles or incense.
- Place a few drops of lavender oil on a hankie in your handbag and inhale when needed.
- Place a few drops of lavender oil in water in an oil burner and let the relaxing aroma soothe you.
- Use dried lavender as a potpourri. Place a few handfuls in a bowl and add a drop or two of lavender oil when the fragrance fades. Fill your house with the fresh, calming scent. Lavender can be mixed with roses for the bedroom and living room or citrus for the kitchen and bathroom. Try this lavender & lime potpourri recipe.
- Decorate your home with dried lavender bunches – drip on some oil to boost the fragrance if wanted. Dry your own bunches by picking before they reach full flower and hanging to dry somewhere warm such as an airing cupboard. Find out more about drying your own flowers.
- If you have dried your own lavender from the garden, make some lavender tea by infusing 1 tablespoon dried lavender per mug in boiling water for 5 mins (if you are able to use it fresh, then use 2 tablespoons of fresh lavender flowers), strain and sweeten with honey if liked. Try as a bedtime drink. (Lavandula Angustifolia is the best variety for food use, or buy culinary grade lavender online.)
[Warnings – always follow the safety instructions on any essential oil bottle. Oils may mark textiles, and damage painted, polished and synthetic surfaces. Exercise caution when heating wheat in the microwave and never leave it unattended.]
Relaxing lavender shopping links